Saturday 12 January 2013

Still in the saddle.. 10 months later.

Ten months!! Already ?  Wow times does go fast when you are having a good time.

The week before xmas I did another run up to west of Gympie to see friends and family. This time the bike used less fuel.. might be something to do with the fact I stuck to the speed limits the whole way.. except when overtaking of course.

Felt to me as if Pearl is really starting to loosen up now from her previous life of hardly ever seeing a road let alone riding along it. Poor old girl. I bet she loves me coming into her life and riding her every day.. she sure seems to like it more and more.

So that trip I went the same route as last time but took longer as I stopped more to have a smoke or drink and a yak with whoever was around at the time. I love that bit. I get to meet a lot of people and they are helping me to regain faith in humanity. All of them so far have been genuine, good, honest people.. not the feral, un-mannered, low-IQ'ers that plague the town I live in.

One of the old bokes I met at Woombye parked up next to my bike on his scooter. I watched him put his helmet into the deep storage box under the bike's seat and then I commented on how it must be like the Tardis inside.

He turned around with a smile before walking over to where we chatted in the shade of a big old tree for half an hour or so. Turns out that between 1957 and 1963 he campaigned a Harley Sportser in Californian drag racing events !! How cool is that ??

I listened a lot more than I talked so was able to learn about how he and his mate who was into hotting up any type of engine, managed to take what started out as a stock new Sporty in '57 to an almost 1300cc pump-fuelled sporty Drag Bike that finally ran a best 9.98 second quarter mile before they retired from running the Sporty.

Awesome story. One of the reasons why I love riding my bike around and meeting all sorts of people.

Bugs... sometimes they are an issue. Moreso in my district for some weird reason, and much less so nearer the coast. So.. being nearer the coast at the time I got hit hard on the chin by a Bee... even though it splattered wetly everywhere.. I knew it had to be a Bee coz it was hurting like a bastard. I managed to pull the sting out.. along with half the Bee's arse and tried to damp the area with some spit to stop it hurting.

Ahhh... its just part of the Adventure ya know.

Anyway.. I had a great time visiting friends and family, got to see a friend who was not available to see last time..so all was good with my world. Except... when I got home the last 5 days only felt like 2 days to me!! Bastard!!

I also do enjoy the interest people show in Pearl.. I am okay with her attracting attention because she is beautiful and I think she likes hearing people say it. On the road people just ogle her.. or try to ignore her coz they have stiff-upper-lip syndrome or think I am some nasty Bikie (stupid stupid word) to steer clear of. Women seem to show more interest than many men.. old ladies.. and women in their 30's and 40's all look and comment on Pearl. I can see the sparkle in the old ladies eyes as they see Pearl and remember their good old days on their or their boyfriend's bike.

Yep... Pearl's a Granny Magnet alright. Wish she would have the same effect on late 20 to late 30-somethings. hahahahahahhahaha... but seriously.


No comments:

Post a Comment