Sunday 27 January 2013

Water must be a scarey monster for most people.

So I went for a ride today in the rain, and got a lot of weird looks from people, and some WTF? looks from the two highway patrol cops.. as if I was doing something wrong.

Had to turn back after 20km's when I realised the highway would be closed due to deep flooding before I got back from where I was going.. shame that, as I was really enjoying the ride up until then despite all the new deep potholes and 6 inches of water across the road at creek crossings.

So then I stopped off at a shopping centre to get stuff for the cats, and it was there I noticed again ... people running from their cars to the store entrance. What ? Is the rain deadly ? Is it toxic, or radioactive or something sinister like that ?

That is weird. When I take my car down to the shops and it is raining, I walk like normal because it is only little drops of water falling from the sky. So you get a little wet... so what ?

Many years ago I discovered that when we grow from being kids into adults, we suddenly find Rain a Scarey Thing.. something to avoid, something to run from in case you get wet... oh dear.. don't let the raindrops get you.

But when we were kids what did we do ? We played in it.

We jumped in the puddles. We used bits of bark as boats and had bark-boat races in the gutters. We were not AFRAID of a little rain at all... we must have been more brave as children than what most people are now as adults.

Yep.. I don't understand what happens to people as they move into adulthood and become scared of getting wet... "I'm not scared of getting wet. I shower every day", somone said to me years ago when I mentioned it the first time.. and he was serious. He took my words as a direct offense against him personally.

I suppose the difference is that I haven't forgotten how to be kid and not take myself way too seriously all the time.

Oh well, must be time to go paddle along in the gutter outside....

No comments:

Post a Comment