Friday 23 September 2011

Teenage Girly Monster Alert !!

Funny things aren't they? Can't put them back where they came from and can't trade them on a nice motorcycle... just have to bear with it.

Who would have thought the little, beautiful bub I brought home and fought for would SUDDENLY become a strong minded young women, much to my discontent and ever-greying hair... and total tiredness from years of broken sleep.. and totally worn out emotionally.. and, getting older just to make matters seem worse.

Somehow these little humans we bring into the world can suck the fun out of anything. They can make you find strength you didn't think you had in you. They can surprise you with caring and gentleness as much as they can shock you with the popular modern version of teenage angst .. the complete bitch from hell who wants to push really...really.... Hard... and Often.

Sure find something inside yourself right there.

My girl has been all the above, and many times over already. She is 17 on Sunday.

Almost everyone she knows her age is either living with boyfriends and pregnant once or twice over, or living with boyfriends/girlfriends. Very few live at home with their parents. Seems I'm lucky, apparently.

So the girly decided to have a gap year to work more and do some study before making a "final" decision on career direction.

As mentioned in the first blog post, I was wondering what I would do with life once she left home. I came up with an interim plan to buy a motorcycle.. pick up where I left off 18 years before.

I can have a gap year too, can't I ? I'm not too old yet, am I ?

Pffft. I think making it through these last 17 years deserves a reward, hee hee.

There are two basic types of children....

1/. The Ruthless Child:- One who will not compromise or accept boundaries, will argue from an early age, will seek out any word you say to twist the topic against you.. I call that last one, Making-Wrong. Life with the ruthless child is always a rollercoaster affair of sleepless nights and drama upon drama, dishonest answers to any question about what they are doing after school, etc.

You get the picture.

2./ The Malleable Child:- One who parents say is a pleasure to raise, who will accept boundaries and house rules, who will co-operate with the family most of the time. These kids don't always behave like little angels, they are kids after all. But in general they don't push their parents so very hard to exclusively get whatever it is they want at the time... above all else. These kids are generally quite truthful about their actions when asked.

Having one of the Type 1 kids, I learned a lot about Me, a lot about when I made mistakes raising her, learned a lot about accepting who she was and what she wants in life, and learned to forgive myself for the mistakes we both made.

Awww.. isn't that all warm and fuzzy feeling now ?

You won't get a lot of that from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment